Henry Robert Woodward, his wife and eight children moved to Carrum from Walhalla in 1904. Henry had been a butcher in Walhalla during the gold rush days. When he settled in Carrum he bought land and established a piggery and opened a butcher shop. Over the years Henry and his sons established butcher shops in Edithvale, Chelsea, Frankston and Rosebud. By the 1950’s the Woodward family Nepean Highway Frankston store was said to be the largest butcher shop in the Southern Hemisphere.
In 1965, Robert Woodward founded R.H. Woodward & Co as a livestock trader. As well as livestock trading, Robert pursued a keen interest in Quarter Horse breeding based at Garrison, a stud located at Murray Downs, NSW. In 1982, Garrison commend feedlot operations and Garrison Cattle Feeders was born. Garrison Cattle Feeders is an AusMeat licensed feedlot that operates to meet the demands of both our domestic and export grain fed markets. All stock in the feedlots is fed a quality, nutritional ration that has been formulated and maintained by a professional nutritionist.
The Woodward family purchased Swan Hill Abattoirs in 1989 and it has experienced solid growth over a sustained period. In 1998 the Woodward Group founded Murray Valley Meat Co based at the Sydney Meat Market, Strathfield South. It is currently one of the largest domestic meat wholesalers in Sydney.
In 2004 the Woodward Group acquired a Brisbane based meat wholesaler then supplying over 200 customers. Murray Valley Meat Co (QLD) continues to increase its market share of the Brisbane meat market.
In 2010 the Woodward Group established Murray Valley Meat Co (SA). Murray Valley Meat Co (SA) has a significant share of the South Australian and Northern Territory meat markets.
The Woodward Group recently established Murray Valley Beef Producers in Adelaide. This venture heralds the return to supplying meat direct to customers as was the Woodward family tradition over 100 years ago.